Happy New Year!
Can you believe its 2017? The older I become the more quickly the years seem to pass. For a boy a year can seem forever, for the rest of us…….well.
Have you had any time to reflect back on 2016? Have you set some goals for 2017? I’ve had a couple of down days to ponder those questions as I have been dealing with my first cold of the New Year.
Our small, but mighty Mohegan Council has a lot to celebrate from 2016:
- Solid membership growth overall, and in Cub & Boy Scouting. That’s something we haven’t done in a while. Thanks to all who helped make that possible.
- We organized six new Scouting units this year, double that from a year ago. We have at least five more that will happen in this first quarter. People and organizations are calling us about starting scouting. Keep telling your scouting stories to people you know.
- Our Operations budget is looking to be balanced, that would be a first in about 15 years. Thanks to all of you who have given to support scouting.
- Treasure Valley summer and year round attendance is up. People are telling us they like the new programs we are offering, volunteerism is increasing; led by our great Friends of the Valley retired crew who made Treasure Valley shine and contributed over 3,800 hours of service. I have a very hard time just keeping them stocked with paint! And 2017 is already shaping up to be an even better year!
- Our Annual “Prepared for Life” breakfast is set for March 22nd at the College of the Holy Cross. Is this the year we cross 300 attendees?
- A $40k grant from the George Magee Fund has been secured for more improvements at camp, and a generous donor has been identified and cultivated for a larger gift to bring back our ”Blue Tarp Special” near the waterfront to a fully functional building.
- Our Solar II project has been completed and will hook up to the grid to provide more stable revenue in 2017.
- We’re sending a Council contingent to the Summit for the National Jamboree.
- We have good plans set for a strong spring membership campaign, and more tools for units to help them get their parents and boys excited about coming to the Valley for a great summer camp experience
Thanks to all of you who helped make 2016 great, and who will help make 2017 even better. I have a coffee mug that one my team gave me a few years ago that says this “Mohegan Council, is the best at getting better”, and you know that’s been a pretty good motto for us.
See you at camp,