I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Melody and I enjoyed a visit from both of our daughters, and our relatively new son in law. It’s great to catch up and to hear their stories of living life as adults. We also did some early Christmas celebrations since Kim and Trygve will be spending that holiday at his folks.
Melody and I are blessed to have them, and we know their Scouting experiences – the girls in Girl Scouts, Trygve is an Eagle scout, played a part in who they are today. For those still early in the parenting journey, I can tell you the best is yet to come.
I enjoy the holiday season, the colder weather and early nights lend themselves to more time at home where I hope you have the time for a game night, laughs with the kids, and just time to talk.
I know many Mohegan Scouters do some of what I described, but I also know your busy making Scouting go in the heart of our Commonwealth. In the last few weeks:
- We finished our Scouting for Food drive (don’t forget to record your service hours on-line).
- We did our final popcorn distribution on a terrific sale where we sold close to a ½ million dollars of popcorn.
- We had over 600 people attend the sold-out shooting sports Woodsman Weekend at TVSR
- We had a good recharter turn-in (thanks to the majority of our units who got the paperwork in).
I saw many of you at these events and I know I missed countless others of you who were at Troop meetings, Pack meetings, and Eagle Courts of Honor that I couldn’t attend. Scouting is full of opportunity, but I do hope you can find the time that I think this season brings to us for family and friends.
Are there Scouting things left to do before the end of the year? You bet and here are a few to work on:
- If your recharter is not complete, get it in or you will be a dropped unit in January. Ouch!
- Turn in your Journey to Excellence worksheet for this past year, and begin setting some goals for the next.
- It’s time to schedule your 2018 Friends of Scouting (our annual giving ask) presentation for your unit. We suggest sometime in the first three months of the New Year, and we’ve made the presentation simpler, easier & quicker.
- And through the 22nd of this month be sure to stop by the Scout Shop for your last-minute stocking stuffers, and other Scouter gifts needed for this season. We have a whole bunch of Treasure Valley items that will make your camper happy.
What’s on the horizon for 2018?
- I hope all Eagles Scouts, past & present, are planning on attending the Eagle Recognition banquet on January 6th.
- That you’ll come pack the ice at our Worcester Railers scout night on January 20th, we’ll also recognize all our Popstars that evening.
- And that everyone is planning a great celebration of Scouting’s birthday on February 8th.
Thanks for all that you do, we’re making a difference.