National Youth Leadership Training
June 24-29, 2018
Treasure Valley Scout Reservation
Check back soon for updated registration information.
National Youth Leadership Training is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide boy scout and venture youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home units and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. This course is co-ed. The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what he must KNOW, and what he must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster. Built on the legacy of past JLT successes, the new NYLT integrates the best of modern leadership theory with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best Scouting has to offer.
NYLT is foremost a training program. While scouts will use their scout craft and camping skills, they will not be taught or required to have mastered them to attend.
Training Youth Leaders
“Training boy leaders to run their troop is the Scoutmaster’s most important job.”
“Train Scouts to do a job, then let them do it.”
“Never do anything a boy can do.”
—Lord Robert Baden-Powell
- 13 years old as of beginning of course
- 1st Class Scout or Venturer
- Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor Approval
Key Course Concepts
- Vision—Goals—Planning: Creating a positive future success
- SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely
- Planning and Problem-solving Tool: What, How, When, Who, Do
- Assessment Tool: SSC – Start, Stop, Con- tinue
- Teaching EDGE: Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable
- Stages of Team Development: Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing
- Leading EDGE: Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable
- Conflict Resolution Tool: EAR – Express, Ad- dress, Resolve
- Making Ethical Decisions: Right vs. Wrong, Right vs. Right, Trivial
- Communication: MaSeR – Message, Sender, Receiver
- Valuing People: ROPE – Reach Out, Organize, Practice, Experience
Participants and Staff
- Meet youth from troops and crews throughout the Council.
- The staff is drawn from throughout the council. The adult staff has many years of leadership experience. The youth staffs are recruited from the best and brightest youth leaders throughout our council.
- Both adult and youth staff have participated in advanced training programs
Tim Hallihan– NYLT Scoutmaster
NYLT Assistant Scoutmaster
Ian Snyder – Email