You are invited to join us, and find your own Adventure !
The first Wood Badge course was held at Gilwell Park outside London, England from September 8th to 19th in 1919. Although the founder of the World Scouting Movement, Robert Baden-Powell, had outlined the course syllabus, he did not lead the course. He left that task to others he had trained, who brought the same dedication to their program and its continuing success. The participants enjoyed good weather, except for one heavy thunderstorm which, as a participant wrote, “had its instructive value also!” The roster of the first Wood Badge course numbered 20 Scouters. The men were organized into three patrols, each one taking his turn as patrol leader, “second,” “bottom” and the other turns in the order of patrol jobs, including cooking.
Over the years, the Wood Badge syllabus has changed with the times, but still symbolizes the pinnacle of Scouter training. It is the only training award that can be earned in every Scouting organization tied to the World Scouting Movement. Scouters from all over the globe carry beads.
The tradition continues in the Spring of 2019, as a cluster of Central and Eastern Massachusetts Scout Councils will present the Wood Badge course at Treasure Valley Scout Reservation in Rutland MA. The Wood Badge experience creates an opportunity for you to develop and apply critical leadership skills. The skills you will learn will help you become a more effective leader in Scouting, your career, and your community.
Who can attend?
To attend Wood Badge, Scouters must:
- Be registered adult members of the Boy Scouts of America
- Have completed basic training for your current Scouting position
- Be capable of functioning safely in an outdoor environment
What can you expect?
When you attend Wood Badge, you will:
- See Scouting as a family of inter-related, values-based programs providing skill and character development at an age-appropriate level to our youth.
- Experience the stages of team development, and practice the leadership skills appropriate for those stages.
- Become familiar with contemporary team building and leading concepts.
- Have fun in the company of interesting, like-minded individuals from other facets of the Scouting program.
Location: Treasure Valley Scout Reservation Rutland MA
Weekend # 1: Friday, April 26, 2019 through Sunday, April 28, 2019 starting at 7:00 AM Friday
Weekend # 2: Saturday, May 18, 2019 through Sunday, May 19, 2019 starting at 7:00 AM Saturday
Both weekends are required
MUST be paid in full before March 26, 2019